What are Labels?

Today, as a part of our maps and communities unit, we started creating our individual map books. These are inspired by our mentor text, My Map Book by Sara Fanelli. My Map Book doesn't tell us a story, in fact, each page is a map! Today was our first time reading it and we noticed a few things. Firstly, we noticed that it looked like a kid drew the maps, that was when we realized WE can draw maps too! Then, we noticed it wasn't telling us a story... every page was a map about something special in the child's life who wrote. Lastly, we noticed the child who made the maps in the book, didn't write in sentences. They wrote one word to describe the picture. We call these labels. 

Then, I told my friends something exciting.. they were going to get to label ME! I had some pre-made labels with sticky notes. As a class, we read the word on the sticky note and friends "labeled" my face. It was so much fun! (And we were all very giggly.. hence our blurry pictures ;) )
















Friends labeled my eyes, my hair, my ears, my nose, my lips, my shirt, my neck and my shoulder! Like I said, we were a classroom full of giggleboxes!

Then, we got down to work. During the first week of school, we drew our self portrait, "Map of My Face" without writing anything. Today, we labeled features on our faces.
















Wow!! I don't know about you, but I am VERY impressed by the work my friends did today labeling. Nice work, friends!

0 comments:

Post a Comment