What does it mean to wonder?

Yesterday, we had a special guest visit our classroom. Dr. Patterson brought down a praying mantis that he found, and the praying mantis hung out with us in the classroom for the day. 



Before I even mentioned the praying mantis to my friends, I asked them what the word wonder means. Some friends thought it meant to not know what the word meant, some friends thought it meant to want to know more. I told my friends that in a way, both of these were correct! 

As a class, we made a chart of things we wondered about...


(Honestly, I wonder about some of these things too.. ;-) )

Then, while sitting on the carpet, I showed each friend the "mystery visitor" in the jar. We did not discuss anything we knew / wanted to know about the visitor, we went straight to our wonder journals and got to work. 










After working on our wonders for about 10 minutes, we shared our wonders. Here are a few wonders that I recorded.



"I wonder if it would hop.."


"I wonder if it's going to turn colors..."


"I wonder if I let my brother's praying mantis out.. if it would fly.."


"I wonder where he lives..."


"I wonder who got the jar..."



"I wonder what it is..."



"I wonder if it has a name..."

Such excellent wonderings! Today we will begin our "Wonder of the Day" as an extension of this wondering from yesterday. Stay tuned for more about what we inquire / research this year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment