Why Does Food Decay?

This morning, we introduced our Wonder of the Week, "Why does food decay?" by beginning a science experiment. My friends watched as I cut an apple into four pieces, and I put the pieces of apple in four different cups with 4 different things in the cups. We are using air, lemon juice, salt water and vinegar in our cups as our four different solutions. We discussed if we thought what was in the cup would stop the apple from decaying (turning brown ). We will look at our apple pieces every day and make notes about what has changed about them in our wonder journal. We are so excited to be scientists this week and learn about why food decays. 




1 comment:

  1. I am so excited about this experiment! I think it is going to be so neat to see what happens to each of the apple slices in the 4 different solutions. My friends and I predicted that the vinegar and lemon juice would stop the decaying process because they both smell so strong! We will find out throughout the week if our hypothesis was correct or not!

    ReplyDelete