Day 1 with our Duck Eggs

Today was SO MUCH FUN! It was JAM PACKED with ducks, writing, learning and fun!! We started our morning off by heading down to the cafeteria to hear from Dr. Patterson. He let us know that he approved our request for duck eggs, and that we would be receiving them today! He also lead us in a special "feathered friend" pledge. 




Here is a video of Dr. Patterson leading us in our "feathered friend" pledge.



"I promise to take care of my feathered friend.
I promise to read about, write about, and talk about what I am learning.
I promise to provide the proper food and shelter for my feathered friend.
I promise to control my excitement when around my feathered friend.
I promise to ask questions that will further my learning of my feathered friend.
I promise to help my teachers clean up after my feathered friend.
I promise to share what I am learning with my family and friends.
As an “All Star” student, I promise to learn all about our new feathered friend."

After we took our feathered friend pledge, we got to observe our duck eggs. 








After we discussed our eggs, we put them in the incubator. Here are some pictures of us observing the incubator...




Mason leaned forward and said, "I think I can hear the incubator taking care of the eggs!!"





We also created our hatching calendar. We highlighted today as the day that we put our eggs in the incubator, and counted 28 days away from today. Our hatching date is May 12!! We can't wait!!


We also began creating our informational texts about our journey with our duck eggs today. We are using our AMAZING mentor text, An Egg Is Quiet, to create our own books. Today, we worked on the cover. We observed the cover of An Egg is Quiet and noticed the "fancy letters", the labels, the picture of the eggs and the author name. We worked really hard to include all of these elements into our own covers. 


This cover is mine.. I am creating a book alongside my friends!


This is Mrs. Roper's cover!

And here are some of the covers of my AMAZING friends! Can you believe that kindergartners drew and designed these? I have been BLOWN AWAY by their incredible work. 












Wow!! I am so excited about this unit!! We are going to have so much fun and learn amazing things! This is a great experience and I'm so thankful my friends are getting to learn with me. I can't wait to come back to school tomorrow and check on our eggs!

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! I may be more excited than you guys ;) I haven't checked out the blog for longer than I want to admit but I had a lot of fun reading and watching videos of the past few weeks. I hope you are as proud of those kiddos as I am. What great memories you are creating for them. Keep up the great work!
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete